Here are a few tips and lessons learned when visiting Venice and the Biennale.
1. Wear comfortable shoes, this is possibly THE most important tip to remember. Trust me.
2. Try and book a hotel central in Venice. My boyfriend and I stayed in Locanda Ovidus It will save money on traveling on the water bus and you can walk to most places.
3. One day don’t follow a map, you will find more interesting pavilions/collateral events when you are lost!
4. NEVER take a water taxi. Unless you don’t mind splashing 100 euros.
5. Sometimes you can get onto the water bus for free! If you like taking risks. If you are caught without a ticket you can be fined 52 euros. You can get an all day ticket for 20 euros which is worth it if you are visiting a lot of shows.
6. Drink lots of water and consume more salt than usual, it’s hot and humid and easy to dehydrate. When you buy a bottle of water in a restaurant, take the rest with you for the day!
7. Some buildings are sinking and wonky, especially the Aezerbaijan pavilion. It could feel like you are tipsy, but it’s the building I promise.
8. Drink Spritz! It’s lovely, everyone drinks it.